Other Ways to Get a Greencard — Source: USCIS

October 18, 2009
By admin

Although most immigrants come to live permanently in the United States through a family member’s sponsorship, employment, or a job offer, there are many other ways to get a greencard (permanent residence).

These special adjustment programs are limited to individuals meeting particular qualifications and/or applying during certain time frames.

For information about the categories below, see links to the left under “Other Ways to Get a Green Card.”

  • Amerasian Child of a U.S. Citizen
  • American Indian Born in Canada
  • Armed Forces Member
  • Cuban Native or Citizen
  • Diversity Immigrant Visa Program
  • Haitian Refugee
  • Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act
  • Informant (S Nonimmigrant)
  • Lautenberg Parolee
  • Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act
  • Person Born to Foreign Diplomat in United States
  • Registry
  • Section 13 (Diplomat)
  • Special Immigrant Juvenile
  • Victim of Criminal Activity (U Nonimmigrant)
  • Victim of Trafficking (T Nonimmigrant)

For information about the special categories below, see under the “Family,” Working in the U.S.” and “Humanitarian” links to the right.

  • Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act (NACARA)
  • Green Cards Through Special Categories of Jobs


  • Afghan/Iraqi Translator
  • Broadcaster
  • International Organization Employee
  • Iraqi Who Assisted the U.S. Government
  • NATO-6 Nonimmigrant
  • Panama Canal Employee
  • Physician National Interest Waiver
  • Religious Worker
  • Green Cards Through Special Categories of Family


  • Battered Spouse or Child (VAWA)
  • K Nonimmigrant (includes fiancĂ©(e))
  • V Nonimmigrant
  • Widow(er)

Source: USCIS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Sponsored Links

Green Card News